|For centuries, America's Service Academies have provided young men and women with a premier education and unparalleled training, producing some of our finest military leaders. As an Army veteran myself, I am proud to nominate New York students to follow in their footsteps. If you are considering applying to a service academy, we would be more than happy to help you with the nomination process.
The Nomination Process
Who Is Eligible?
Applicants must meet the following eligibility requirements as of July 1 of the year of admission to a service academy: He or she must be at least 17 years old, but not have passed the 23rd birthday, must be a United States citizen, and must be unmarried, not pregnant, and have no legal obligation to support children or other dependents.
Applicants must be residents of the 19th Congressional District if New York.
Note to Military Dependants: If you are a military dependent, you are required by law to apply for a nomination in your legal domicile.
Applications must be submitted by Friday, October 31, 2014.
Requesting a Nomination from Our Office:
If you would like to be considered for a nomination, you must submit the following:
1. Completed Service Academy Application (click here)
2. High School Transcript – Your transcript must include all course work, GPA, and class rank.
3. Standardized Test Scores – Please provide scores from the ACT or SAT, or both.
4. High School Recommendation – Please provide a letter of recommendation written by your Guidance Counselor or High School Principal.
5. Letters of Recommendation – Please provide 2 additional letters of recommendation (not more than 5):
1. High School teacher
2. An individual (non-relative) who is aware of your abilities and desire to attend an academy
6. Community & School Activity List – Please list all school, athletic, and community activities and other significant accomplishments/awards.
7. Essay – Please provide an essay (500 words or less) outlining why you want to attend a United States Service Academy.
8. Interview – All applicants will be required to attend an interview session with Selection Committee members.
9. Photograph – Please provide a current photograph.
For questions regarding the application process, please contact Ann Mueller in our Kinderhook Office: 518-610-8133.
In addition to applying to my office for a nomination, you must also complete and submit the admissions application to your academy or academies of choice. I encourage you to immediately begin this process. You can contact each academy by using the information below:
|United States Air Force Academy
Director of Admissions
Colorodo Springs , Colorado 80840
|United States Military Academy
West Point , New York 10996
|United States Merchant Marine Academy
Kings Point , New York 11024
|United States Naval Academy
Director of Candidate Guidance
Annapolis , Maryland 21402
*The United States Coast Guard Academy does not require congressional nominations. If you are interested in attending the USCG Academy, please contact:
United States Coast Guard Academy
New London , CT 06320